Recently I sat in on a video conference all about Cyber Monday with AVG and CyberMonday.com all about online shopping safety (courtesy of Global Influence). The chat was very informative and I wanted to pass on some tips to you so you can have a safe online shopping experience. Also be sure to check out CyberMonday.com for all the latest info on Cyber Monday deals.
1. Look for the “S” for Security: Make sure the sites you are shopping from are secure and have “HTTPS” in the URL on the page that asks for your credit card number. The “S” ensures security. Also, look for the padlock symbol and research shopping sites at locations such as shopzilla.com and pricegrabber.com.
2. Stay Current on Security Software: Make sure you have the latest virus protection software updates from your provider before you start your holiday shopping.
3. Think Before You Link: Employ a URL scanning tool to ensure you’re not clicking on links that lead to infected websites. Free download form AVG available HERE.
4. Keep Your Private Information Private: Make sure you keep your personal information private. Create a separate e-mail account just for shopping and use a unique password. Keep records of your online shopping by printing confirmation pages and e-mail confirmations.
5. Mix Up Your Passwords: Each e-mail, bank, credit card account should have a unique password. Write them down and store them in a secure location.
Thanks Thrifty and Chic Mom